Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Demon! #3 - Portman Distribution (aka Marvel UK)

sgSometimes when I'm buying multiple comics from one seller, I'll look and see what b/w mags they might be selling that I can pick up for a few bucks. If someone's willing to not charge any additional shipping, I figure why not?

I found this little gem a week or so ago and now that I'm done rereading The Warren Companion (for like the seventh time) I thought I'd post this, the third issue of a British magazine called Demon--oh, excuse me, Demon!

Juding by its contents, I'd say Demon (I mean Demon!--dammit) is a UK version of a Marvel b/w magazine, since it features the Marvel character Satana, and the whole thing is done by the likes of Gerry Conway, Tony Isabella, Doug Moench, Tom Sutton, Sonny Trinidad, with a cover by Frank Brunner. I have not been able to find this particuar (particularly awesome!) cover on any other Marvel comic, so I wonder if this was commissioned for the British edition. Inside, there's no indication that these stories are anything but original to this magazine (Marvel isn't even listed as publisher in the indicia).

First is a Gabriel, Devil-Hunter story "To Worship the Damned" by Doug Moench and Sonny Trinidad, and features a really creepy looking demon(hence the title of the magazine, I guess). I mean, ew:

sg

...good old-fashioned nightmare fuel. Thanks Mr.Trinidad!

Next is a "Satana, the Devil's Daughter" text-piece by Gerry Conway with some nice spot pieces by Estaban Moroto and Pablo Marcos. Ah, the 70s. The third piece is "Grave Business" a great, macabre tale written and drawn by Tom Sutton. Sutton really could combine horror and dark, dark humor like no one else, though this story does end especially gruesomely.

"Deathwatch", by Conway and Yong Montano(?) is a grim morality tale set during war, also with a really gruesome ending. Satana is back with her own comics story called "Bloody is the Path to Hell" (ironically, also the name of Ann Coulter's next book), where we get to see her make-out with a demon named Zannarath. Again--ah, the 70s. The story continues into Part 2, titled "This Side of Hell", where Satana makes out with another guy until she drains all the life out of his body, leaving just an empty husk. Where else can you go after that?

The back cover features an ad for another magazine called Journey into Nightmare, which features a Neal Adams Man-Thing cover, reprinted from Monsters Unleashed! I believe. The ad copy proclaims its "64 pages of utter misery, fear, weirdness, screams, neurosis, poison, violence, blight, evil, malice, and suffering." I was going to say that's the same description of Ann Coulter's next book, but I already made that joke.

But, as the ad undoubtedly intended, it makes me want to get it!

No comments: