
But I persevere, because I think DC's intentions behind the magazine were great, and I wish it had been more successful. Marvel is out there now with Spider-Man Magazine, and there's no good reason why DC doesn't have a similarly kid-friendly Superman or Batman magazine sitting alongside it in bookstores.
Also, these issues of Superman & Batman Magazine feature the work of the late Mike Parobeck, whose clean, dynamic art style was always one of my favorites. Getting to see it here, bigger and on better paper, is a real treat.
In fact, I'm going to forgo my usual tedious description of each issue's contents, and just run the entire sequence--in this issue it stars Superman--drawn by Parobeck:






There's also a Hawkman "Hero File" page, also drawn by Parobeck, as well as a feature about Guy Gardner, under the guise of an interview by Daily Planet reporter Catherine Grant:


In addition, there's a Hawkman solo feature by my pal Paul Kupperberg and drawn by Rick Burchett, and a Hawkman pin-up by Ty Templeton. Both Templeton and Burchett were just as sharp as Parobeck, and thankfully they've gone on to do a lot more comics work.
I have two more issues of the magazine in my collection, and we'll talk about those too, eventually!
I have two more issues of the magazine in my collection, and we'll talk about those too, eventually!
2 comments:
I really liked this magazine. The comics were pretty much the same as the then-running Batman Adventures (vol.1) and at the time, I felt that was the best Batman title going, since the bat-books were in the middle of "Knightquest" with crazy Azrael as Batman.
I wish it had ran longer. I have enjoyed reading the tales to my son, and I wish there was more to choose from!
Chris
Neat, some Parobeck stuff I hadn't seen! I should keep an eye out for this and Impact Comics' the Fly.
Post a Comment