
Like the rest of Warren's line, FMOF went out with a whimper, not a bang--no formal announcement that this was the last issue. Famous Monsters of Filmland, responsible for an entire generation of horror/monster/sci-fi fans getting together and eventually taking over most of popular culture, simply disappeared from the newsstands.
So, without superflous comments from me, here's some of what this final issuse concerned itself with:








There's the usual Captain Company ad section (lots and lots of Star Wars stuff) and then on the inside cover is an ad for the next issue. Kinda cruel, really, since you probably had (at minimum) tens of thousands of kids looking out for this cover, waiting month after month for it to arrive:

...of course, Famous Monsters of Filmland did "return", many years later, but that eventually got so ugly that I'm not sure too many people really think of it the same way they think of the original.
If not for Forry Ackerman and James Warren, who blazed a trail for this kind of material, there would be no Warren Publications, no Creepy, no Vampirella, probably no Marvel b/w magazine line, and certainly no All In Black & White For 75 Cents. Thanks guys.
___________________________________________________________
If not for Forry Ackerman and James Warren, who blazed a trail for this kind of material, there would be no Warren Publications, no Creepy, no Vampirella, probably no Marvel b/w magazine line, and certainly no All In Black & White For 75 Cents. Thanks guys.
___________________________________________________________
Those of you who follow this blog closely might wonder why I've been talking about nothing but final issues lately. I generally don't do theme weeks, so what's with all the doom and gloom in the b/w magazine world?
Well, that's because this is, for the foreseeable future, the final post here at All In Black & White For 75 Cents.
I've put this blog on brief "vacations" before, so I can build up new material to talk about, having exhausted my b/w magazine collection a while back.
And while I would never say this blog will never, ever return (that's the beauty of blogging; things are only as final as you want them to be), I realized events have caused me to have lighten my blog load a little. Frankly, I've overextended myself, both time-wise and money-wise, and it got to the point where this was the only blog of mine that costs me money to produce. I was able to subsidize it for a while, but I knew at some point I'd have to put the brakes on it.
I really thank everyone who followed this blog regularly, and everyone who left a comment or sent me an email saying how much they liked it. It meant a lot to me, to know that this little obsession of mine was striking a chord with other people out there.
I also thank the people who took time to talk to me for the blog--Angelique Trouvere, Chris Ryall, Nick Cuti, and Joe Jusko. It was a total thrill getting to talk to these people, and it made the blog so much better, hearing from people involved in the production of these great magazines.
And who knows? Maybe as I attend comic cons over the next couple of years, I'll start picking up some old Creepys or Savage Sword of Conans again, and eventually they'll pile up high enough that I say to myself, "Hey, I should start scanning those in..."
Until then, Ciao!
Well, that's because this is, for the foreseeable future, the final post here at All In Black & White For 75 Cents.
I've put this blog on brief "vacations" before, so I can build up new material to talk about, having exhausted my b/w magazine collection a while back.
And while I would never say this blog will never, ever return (that's the beauty of blogging; things are only as final as you want them to be), I realized events have caused me to have lighten my blog load a little. Frankly, I've overextended myself, both time-wise and money-wise, and it got to the point where this was the only blog of mine that costs me money to produce. I was able to subsidize it for a while, but I knew at some point I'd have to put the brakes on it.
I really thank everyone who followed this blog regularly, and everyone who left a comment or sent me an email saying how much they liked it. It meant a lot to me, to know that this little obsession of mine was striking a chord with other people out there.
I also thank the people who took time to talk to me for the blog--Angelique Trouvere, Chris Ryall, Nick Cuti, and Joe Jusko. It was a total thrill getting to talk to these people, and it made the blog so much better, hearing from people involved in the production of these great magazines.
And who knows? Maybe as I attend comic cons over the next couple of years, I'll start picking up some old Creepys or Savage Sword of Conans again, and eventually they'll pile up high enough that I say to myself, "Hey, I should start scanning those in..."
Until then, Ciao!
16 comments:
I'll sure miss it, for one! It was a pleasure to visit and here's to those b/w's piling up sooner than later,
Cheers!
The Scavenger
I'm willing to send some donations to keep her going, I'm sure I have some stuff kicking around.
cheers, mate! Its been fun.
take care,
Keny from Prague
Sad news. Blogging can be a harsh mistress, to be sure, as I discovered myself. That said, I'll very much miss dropping in here.
I've always enjoyed checking out new entries on this site, as a fellow magazine fan, and will miss the regular updates. Here's hoping that it won't be too long before another one. Well done on an excellent blog anyway.
Your blog's been a terrific one that I've followed for quite a while now, and it has inspired me to start my own. It definately will be missed!
Quiddity
Wow. I am going to MISS this blog!!! Thanks for churning up all of those great memories, Rob! I truly hope this isn't really the end!!
Even though I own very few B&W comic mags, I really enjoyed this blog (like all of your blogs Rob). I hate to see it go!
Chris
Say it ain’t so.
Rob, your work has been an inspiration for my own blog (and your frequent comments there a source of pride and joy). Thanks for all the memories of the magazines I grew up with, especially those I missed first time around.
Whatever you do next, I’ll be there to follow.
Excellent & informative blog, which I only found recently. I hope you intend to keep it up so that people can read in the future. The sad thing about blogs is that you tend to stumble upon them over time, and there doesnt' seem to be a table of contents to direct one to the ones you're interested in (perhaps there's one, I just haven't stumble upon it yet.) Needless-to-say, I hope you find a few more black and white comics to ignite your fancy. I've collected comics for years as well, and really didn't have a preference for color or b/w as long as it was good art and stories. Continued success in whatever journey you find.
Please contact me. Would like to ask you about "after hours" vol#1, no 4, which you mention in a previous entry. Don't know if you ever heard of Howard DeVore, but he was my Dad, and a very well known science fiction dealer, fan, and Hugo nominee. We are going through his collection and preparing things to sell. He was a personal friend of Ackerman, who I note you are intersted in. My name is Karol Sissom. My phone number is 734-458-4976. I live in Michigan and we on Eastern time.
PS You can call any time from 8am to midnight, and I am home most days. If not, please leave a phone number and I'll call you back.
Hi. Me again. I found the answer I was looking for, but if you'd like me to email you when our website opens, let me know at kgbullfrog@aol.com. We have almost entirely SF, but there is a little horror stuff. Thanks, Karol
Sad :(
GOD, I miss this blog!!!!!!
Aw, thanks Joe!
Every so often I go looking for a particular mag that I want, and that I'd do a post about here, but no luck yet.
But AIBWF75C isn't gone forever!
Post a Comment