skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The Superheroes Monthly Vol.1 #2 - DC/Egmont
1980 - These issues of Super Heroes Monthly first caught my eye back when I was a kid, almost entirely because of their covers--at the time (around 1985 or so), I had never seen superheroes rendered so realistically, and the various covers were just so captivating.
Since then, I've had the chance to get a hold of a couple of issues of the series, and they make for a nice package--slick covers wrapping around a selection of classic reprints from the Silver Age (mostly).
This issue's cover is by Gary Leach (I dig Batman's spooky glowing eyes!), and as the characters might suggest, this issue focuses on DC's Big Three.
First up is Wonder Woman in "Wonder Woman's Daring Deception!", from Wonder Woman #173, by Robert Kanigher, Irv Novick, and Mike Esposito:
Next is the classic two-page Superman origin sequence from Action Comics #1, followed by "The Nightmare Maker", from Superman #166, by Elliott S! Maggin, Curt Swan, and Murphy Anderson:
...and finally, we have Batman in "Legend of the Key Hook Lighthouse!" (great name!) by Denny O'Neil, Irv Novick, and Dick Giordano, from Detective Comics #414
...as usual, the cover painting is reprinted on the back cover, sans logos and cover type, Dell-style.
These books make for a really nice little package, and can be picked up super cheap on eBay (I think I bought this one for $1.50!), making them a great buy for kids just starting to read comics.
1 comment:
I love the Superheroes Monthly series too, and have got most of the issues off ebay. You can't go wrong with some quality DC superheroics, plus the covers were always great. If you can find issues at a reasonable price on ebay, you won't be disappointed.
Post a Comment