
The issues of NatLamp I'm most interested in are of course the ones with the really cool comic book material, but those are also the most expensive ones to find for a decent price.
This particular issue only has a little bit of that type of material, but pretty much any issue of National Lampoon under the art direction of Michael Gross is worth looking at--the unusual cover alone bears his, uh, stamp.
Among the articles is a piece on actor George Sanders, who had killed himself just a few months earlier:

There are a couple of articles revolving around the "Boredom" theme, the main one being a four-page section featuring the stamps seen on the cover, and what you can can get by redeeming them:


...this thing is a clip art dream!
There's a silly piece called "Tony Hendra's World of Meat", featuring hunks of dead animal flesh sitting in for various famous people and objects through history.
The comic insert--printed on newsprint instead of the magazine's normally glossy stock--is drawn by Ralph Reese, and is all about President Nixon's infamous brother Donald:


There's a silly piece called "Tony Hendra's World of Meat", featuring hunks of dead animal flesh sitting in for various famous people and objects through history.
The comic insert--printed on newsprint instead of the magazine's normally glossy stock--is drawn by Ralph Reese, and is all about President Nixon's infamous brother Donald:


There's a "Foto Funnies" page featuring some nudity (always nice), some cartoons by Gahan Wilson, a brutal piece about Johnny Carson by Michael O'Donoghue (not realizing of course that it would be Carson who would be the catalyst for the creation of Saturday Night Live, the thing O'Donoghue is arguably most famous for).
There's another piece called "Bland Hotel", featuring some really nice, vintage-y artwork:

There's another piece called "Bland Hotel", featuring some really nice, vintage-y artwork:

It was articles like this that I think best exemplified the work of NatLamp Art Director Michael Gross. It was Gross' job to give the magazine a crisp, professional look, knowing the right kind of work to use for specific pieces. For this article, the illustrations really make the thing.
There's another article on "Our White Cultural Heritage", "Nuts" by Gahan Wilson, and some other comic strip material by some other NatLamp regulars.
Not a bad issue, but I don't think its one of the Lampoon's finest. I'm still determined to find some others that feature more comic book-centric material--I guess I just have to keep looking...
There's another article on "Our White Cultural Heritage", "Nuts" by Gahan Wilson, and some other comic strip material by some other NatLamp regulars.
Not a bad issue, but I don't think its one of the Lampoon's finest. I'm still determined to find some others that feature more comic book-centric material--I guess I just have to keep looking...
No comments:
Post a Comment