Monday, December 12, 2011

Stag Vol. 18 #2 - Atlas Magazines

sg
Feb. 1967 - This post is for he-men only!

I saw this magazine on someone's Facebook page, and it reminded me I haven't checked out a "men's magazine" for the blog in a while, so after a quick (and relatively cheap) trip to eBay, here we are!

The cover (by Mort Kuntsler), while absurd, is actually quite well done, though I think its the "I Am A Small Town Call Girl" headline that really grabs your eye. Too bad they didn't choose that as the cover story.

I started to chuckle right after the table of contents, when I saw this ad:
sg
Ah yes, investingating insurance accident claims inevitably leads to sex with busty, short-skirted women. My Dad worked in insurance his whole life, and he told me this happened two, three times tops.

After a page of Playboy-style jokes, here's why you paid your forty cents:
sg
sg
Some of the call girl's advice includes "City hustling is too risky. Many of my colleagues have run into the strangest kinds of johns, some even turning out to be real psychos." Whouda guessed?

Stag wasn't just about sleazy sex--no sir, it was also still beating the drum for the Vietnam War, with rah-rah articles all about gutsy, John Wayne-esque heroics against the Viet-Cong:
sg
sg
...any relation to actual events in Vietnam are purely coincidental. Nice art by Bruce Minney, though.

After an article about De Gaulle which I doubt anyone read, we're back to the sex with a nice, double-page spread (no pun intended), by someone named "Samson Pollen" (methinks a pseudonym for an illustrator who probably had lots of mainstream work and did stuff like this on the side):
sg
There's some more nudie articles, the cover story titled "Nude Tribe Caper" (featuring a piece by Earl Norem!), a piece titled "America's Highway Robbery: Speed Traps and Roadside Justice", "The Great Mid-Ocean Snatch of U-Boat 505" (not as fun as you might think, despite that word), then this article on Italian film star Marilu Tolo:
sg
There's more, much more: more jokes, "The Credit Gyp" (still kinda relevant today, I should send this magazine to Elizabeth Warren...on second hand, maybe not), then this:
sg
sg
...finally, an article I can use!

The rest of the mag is devoted to wrapping up all the articles started in the first half (a format some mags still use today that drives me nuts), and
a ton of ads, including one for women's undergarments that I think only a man would ever consider purchasing:
sg
I love the one with the tassels. Trying selling your girlfriend on that one, fellas.

All in all,
Stag (or this issue, at least) is fairly tame, and is just your typical mix of war and boobs, maybe with some nicer artwork. By the way--the Atlas that published this is, in fact, the same company owned by Martin Goodman, whose company also owned Marvel Comics. Stag continued until 1971, until it was replaced on the schedule by The Rawhide Kid.


No comments: