January 1999 - This unusual magazine was one of a multitude of short-lived attempts the Harvey company made to bring their legendary stable of comics characters back into the limelight.Richie Rich holds the record for the most amount of regular, ongoing series bearing his name--33( I believe(!)--so its sorta sad that Richie, Casper, Hot Stuff, and all the other Harvey favorites are nowhere to be seen on the comics racks nowadays. (Though you can see Casper in animated films, and Hot Stuff on a lot of Goth Chicks' skin)
This magazine is similar to the Superman & Batman Magazine I've talked about here before--a slick, high-quality magazine filled with comics, photo features, games, and puzzles.
The first feature is "The Clowns of C.I.R.C.U.S.", written by Craig Shemin and drawn by Rick Geary!:

Next is a piece about...an upcoming live-action Baby Huey movie?:

Next is a piece called "Art Gallery" featuring works by Renoir, then some poems by Elise Maclay--Harvey clearly trying to bring some culture to their audience.
There's a cut-out "Funny Face Machine" drawn by Geary, and then the return of everyone's favorite boy ghost, Casper!, by the classic Harvey team of Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon:

I couldn't find much information on this magazine; its not listed on the GCDB, so I have no idea how many issues this ran. It's not a bad mix of kids material, though the cover is less than inspiring. I think I would've hired Colon to do it.
1 comment:
I saw a Baby Huey DVD in an Easter display at Rite-Aid of all places. It looked like it may have been the film here.
That Richie Rich movie plays every Christmas on ABC Family. My son likes it.
Chris
Post a Comment