Thursday, May 10, 2007

After Hours #3 - Jay Publishing, aka Warren!

sgI am now only one issue--#2--away from having a complete set of Jim Warren's first publishing effort, the nudie-mag After Hours. The person selling this copy of #3 on ebay didn't have any knowledge of its historical value, though the bidders sure did, and there was quite a bidding war, but I was determined to prevail. This copy is in astonishingly good condition--it's practically mint--and I'm amazed that someone would think to keep some old nudie-mag around for so long and with such care. But I'm so glad they did!

Like the previous issue I discussed, #3 here doesn't have any sci-fi/horror/comic content, so it's notable purely for having Jim Warren's name on the masthead:
sg
(BTW, wanna bet that "Pete Twaddle" wasn't that guy's real name?)

This issue does feature gen-u-ine nudity, but its more of the nude-art-study variety. If these photos were in any other context than this magazine--with its sniggering articles on Las Vegas and pulpy short fiction stories--they'd probably be considered classy. There's also lots of Playboy-style gag cartoons, an article on hot Italian women like Sophia Loren and Gina Lollabrigida.

And like with the first issue, there's at least one centerfold featuring a woman who, er, probably got further in the world of nude modeling than she normally would have simply because she was willing to take off her clothes back then:
sg

















...I know I'm probably ragging on somebody's Grammy now, and I know that tastes change over time..but not that much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>I'm amazed that someone would think to keep some old nudie-mag around for so long and with such care<

Rob-

Don't forget - back then, it probably spent most of its life hidden in the bottom of a dresser drawer under a bunch of sweaters!

-Craig