I had planned to do a bunch of Warrens for a while, but that was until I came across this beauty in my local 7-11 while on an ice cream run. I always check out the comic selection there with the idea of picking one up, but then I saw this--Spider-Man Magazine? What?!?Obviously this was released in conjunction with the movie, but I don't care--the Big Two need to do more stuff like this. It features a story from Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man, a story from Marvel Adventures: The Avengers, special bonus pin-ups (labeled as such!), a two-page pin-up of Spidey's villains, Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius, a page of Marvel trading cards, an Amazing Spider-Girl text story(!!), Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe pages, reprints of classic Amazing Spider-Man covers, and even a puzzles-and-games section! Excelsior!
While the cover price is a little hefty for a throwaway purchase($7!), this is a really great package of features meant to appeal to young kids in a Spider-Man frenzy. This thing harkens back to the classic multi-feature publications of the 70s, when comic companies were still trying to court younger readers. In the indicia, it just says Spider-Man Magazine, not Spider-Man Magazine #1, so maybe Marvel has no intention of doing a second issue. That's unfortunate, but maybe if this sells well they'll do more like this for the slate of Marvel movies they've got planned--c'mon, Marvel, I wanna see Fantastic Four Magazine, The Incredible Hulk Magazine, and IronMan Magazine!
I plan to buy multiple copies of this and give them out to every little comics fan I know. Maybe I can single-handedly help Marvel realize they've got a winner on their hands...
1 comment:
I'm a spiderman fan... and also marvel fan... looks great this magazine
Post a Comment