Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Famous Monsters Fan Club Button

sgLike I said, I was never much of a FMOF devotee growing up, but during my periodic search for a Warren Publishing promo button (seen on the first page of TwoMorrows' The Warren Companion) I came across this Famous Monsters Fan Club membership button!

The seller had one of those "Make Offer" buttons on the auction, so I made an offer just a few bucks shy of of what their BIN price was. Luckily they agreed and Paypal was engaged.

I love this kind of fun stuff publishers used to do to get kids more involved in their publications--buttons, proof-of-purchase mail-in items, value stamps, membership clubs, etc. It gave you a sense of community that I think is sorely lacking nowadays (ironic, since with the web it would be so much easier to do that kind of stuff if some intrepid publisher wanted to!).

No comments: