Sunday, June 10, 2007

Help! #7 - General Promotions...aka Warren!

sgOne of the more offbeat mags in my collection, Help! was a humor magazine aimed at the slightly-older-than-Mad reader that lasted a few years, from 1960 to 1965.

There's a vague Valentine's Day theme to the issue(as you can see cover star Tom Poston getting involved), like:
"For the Birds: A Discourse on St.Valentine's Day" by George Kirgo
"Baby, It's Occult Outside", a fairly saucy(for the time) fumetti starring Poston and the pneumatic Sylvia Miles
"Shadow Play" cartoons by Gahan Wilson
"Backstage on Broadway" by Paul Coker
a long short story(?) by William Tenn called "Child's Play"
...plus other assorted features. I had heard so much about this magazine that I bought this one--the cheapest copy I could find--sight unseen, and I have to say I was a tad disappointed. Maybe other issues were better, but this seemed so scatter-shot and silly that the whole thing left me kind of cold. Maybe if I had bought this on the stands in 1961 I would've laughed my head off.

Jim Warren served as publisher, even though the magazine is being listed as being by the absurdly-generic "General Promotions" (wasn't he in charge of PR for the Army?). You've got Gloria Steinem as Associate Editor, which I never tire of pondering.

No comments: