Tuesday, June 26, 2007

In The Days of the Mob #2 Cover Sketch

sg


























Ok, one more piece of Kirby Obscura before we move onto something else. I found this wonderful little item in another issue of The Jack Kirby Collector--Jack's sketch for the cover for the never-published In The Days of the Mob #2. Since we've already seen a lot of material for #2 as finished work, I assume the cover was the last thing to be worked on before DC pulled the plug.

I have to admit, the headline "The Planned Assassination of Thomas E.Dewey!" makes me chuckle. It's hardly "This Man...This Monster!", but I still wish DC has published it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob-

Great stuff...

Do you know if ONLY the cover was done?

Or, as with SPIRIT WORLD "leftovers," were any stories re-purposed in color comics?

Best,
-Craig

rob! said...

Craig-

as far as i know, almost ALL of Mob #2 was finished. like i guessed, the cover might have been the last thing to get worked on.

more material from #2 has appeared in JKC, but its such a pain to scan it in i havent done it yet. :)

and yes, some of the material for SW #2 was used in Weird Mystery Tales:
http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=2038

...not sure which issues tho.