Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Masters of Terror #2 - Marvel

sgMasters of Terror was one of Marvel's last attempts to craft an anthology of horror stories for the b/w format; it obviously didn't work sales-wise, this second issue was its last.

When I first saw this cover, I thought this magazine was devoted to doing long-form adaptations of classic horror and sci-fi novels--that's something I would've read, at the very least. This nice, paperback book-esque cover is by Dan Adkins, "based on a drawing by Jim Steranko."

After a fun, self-deprecating editorial by MOT editor Tony "The Tiger" Isabella, is the opening feature, "The Invisible Man", is adapted by Ron Goulart, Val Mayerik, and Dan Adkins. It's a nice version, H.G. Wells' basic grabber of a tale filtered through the Marvel House of Ideas.

Next is Robert Bloch's "The Man Who Cried Werewolf!" by Gerry Conway and Pablo Marcos, a pulpy, sexy werewolf tale with one of those twist endings. Third is a text feature about H.G. Wells, "Science Fiction Pioneer."

Fourth is "Dig Me No Grave!" by Roy Thomas, Gil Kane, and Tom Palmer, adaptd from the story by Robert E. Howard, an author Thomas was obviously familiar with. It's about two men who find themselves involved in a mysertiou Satanic cult's plans for the recently dead body of a colleague of theirs. Beautifull, moody work by Kane and Palmer, with a grabber of a final image.

There's a page of Plop!iesque "Terror Toons" by Stu Schwartzberg, that seem to come from some high school newspaper--they're pretty amateurish looking, sandwiched inbetween work by Gil Kane and the artist of the next story, "The Music of Eric Zann!", the legendary Johnny Craig!

The story was originally a H.P. Lovecraft tale, written by Roy Thomas. Mysterious music fills the air, driving a man who grows obsessed with it slowly mad. Craig does a great job, as he used to do in all those old ECs, portraying a man gripped by madness.

Next is "Pickman's Model", another Lovecraft tale adapted by Thomas and Tom Palmer. A man tells a tale of a painter he has met who is able to create horrorific images of evil, all too realistically rendered. Great creepy fun, with a really nice art job by Palmer.

Don and Maggie Thompson contribute a text feature called "Time Out for Terror", all about being scared. The final story in this issue and the series is "The Roaches", adapted from the story by Thomas Disch by Gerry Conway and Ralph Reese, which had appeared in Monsters Unleashed! just two years earlier. A bookish, lonely woman learns to communicate with the little buggers of the title and develops a really unhealthy relationship with them. Ick.

And, sadly, that was it for Masters of Terror. Sure, it was made up of all reprints, most of which had just appeared a short time earlier, but what's the point of starting any magazine if you're going to cancel it after just two issues? MOT coulda been a contender!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob-

At least some of those were b & w re-washes of originally color-printed stories, yes?

I appreciated Marvel's stab at adapting classics, in several venues back then - and, I mean APART from "Marvel Classics Comics."

I think Rascally Roy was behind a lot of this?

-Craig

Anonymous said...

Masters of Terror was my concept. I was asked to freelance edit a couple of "test" magazines for Marvel. I'd hoped they'd sell well enough for us to continue with new adaptations of classic horror stories.

Tony

Anonymous said...

Dear (fellow-Buckeye) Tony-

Wasn't meaning to swipe credit where due; kudos - and belated thanks!

I was writing of the "doing the classics in general" mini-trend, and thought I remembered Stan crediting Thomas for such things as the color "Supernatural Thrillers," where INVISIBLE MAN was first (not!) seen.

All best,
(ex-) Buckeye Craig Wichman