Friday, June 11, 2010

The Super Heroes Monthly Vol.1 #1 - DC/Egmont

sg
1980 - "Here is at last, the Super Heroes magazine you've all been waiting for!"

This is the debut issue of Egmont's The Super Heroes Monthly series, featuring reprints of some of DC's best material, topped off by all-new covers, which in 1980 were breathtaking in their realism.

This issue's cover is by Alan Craddock, who would go on to do a number of them for the series. As you might expect, this first issue focuses on the Big Three, featuring reprints of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman stories
:
sg
sg
sg
In addition to the reprints, there's an all-new article giving a brief history of The Man of Steel, and another shorter one for Batman. There's also an ad for the next issue, a little feature I used to love but have gone the way of letters pages.

Living in America, I never saw this series until a few years later, and seeing the covers (in those old Heroes World catalogs, I think) was a real eye-opener: I'd never seen superheroes rendered this way, and it really made me want to find these magazines.

On eBay, these issues of Super Heroes Monthly can be found incredibly cheaply (I think I bought this one for $1.50); and their smorgasbord of DC material make them the perfect books to give out to any kids you might know who love superhero comics.


5 comments:

Josh Hill said...

I never even knew this existed. I will have to hunt some of this down.

matthew jones said...

Super Heroes Monthly is a great little title, and I've been lucky to get most of the series off ebay in recent years. A great cover, as always and the Superman and Batman stories reprinted here were both very good.

Anonymous said...

hi, do you know how many issues were printed for volume 2? i have all of volume 1 but only a couple of issues of volume 2 and ive always wondered how many issues were printed for the second volume?

rob! said...

Anon--Volume 2 ran for 5 issues. You can see the covers here:

http://www.comics.org/series/14959/

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the info! But I'm confused as I saw another issue where it had the Justice Society of America on the cover. And I remember reading about that in one of the issues from Vol.2.