Saturday, January 20, 2007

Almost Black & White For 75 Cents...

sgDynamite Entertainment now publishes Red Sonja comics and apparently their approach to the character--sex + violence + some more sex--seems to be working, since they've announced a spin-off Sonja title, Savage Tales.

As any old comic fan will tell you, Savage Tales is the name of two separate Marvel magazines from the 70s and 80s that did occasionally feature Conan, Sonja, and others. Apparently the copyright on the name has lapsed so Dynamite can now use it.

When I first saw this cover--aside from feeling a bit uneasy for ogling a woman who is standing on top of a bunch of corpses--I got so excited thinking Dynamite was bringing ST back as black-and-white magazine, since the logo and title are clearly meant to remind you of that classic publication.

As you can guess, they're not. Savage Tales will be a regular full-color comic, not a magazine. I know that part of the raison d'etre of the black-and-white comic-magazine is now gone (the chance to do more adult-themed material, which can now be found in nearly any regular comic), but I still get excited at the prospect of different formats for comic-books, and to get so close...

*sigh*

No comments: