Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Savage Sword of Conan #117 - Marvel

sgThis is another one of those b&w magazines I discovered at a newsstand, and I felt was just a little too adult for parental approval; so of course I bought it immediately. Nudity, violence, what's not to love?

First off, look at that cover by Michael Golden--insane. Beautifully, wonderfully insane. Only Conan would even try to get a helmet like that on a horse.

After a letters page and an ad for the next issue that features Conan jamming this sword through a guy's chest and out his back (talk about hitting the ground running), the first story is "The Winds of Aka-Gaar" by Larry Yakata and Gary Kwapisz. I don't think I need to say much more about the story other than, at one point, Conan lops the head/heads off of a two-headed ape. Sort of. Plus it has some naked babes in it that cause a guy to die in quicksand. Oh, and a blinded Conan fights a giant crab. I guess there's a lot to say about this story. As the Irish say, good on ya, Mr. Yakata.

The other story, "The Opponents" by Don Kraar and Rod Whigham, is a short one where Conan gets in an arm-wrestling contest and still manages to kill a few guys during it.

I love Conan.

No comments: