One in a long series of Warren Publications' one-shots, I think you can guess by the title just what kind of audience Warren was trying to attract with this book.Warren had such a deep reservoir of material from its past that it could put together these all-reprint theme books with ease, and that's exactly what this is: a book full of reprints, mostly from back issues of Eerie, all with an outer-space theme.
The reason I'm even mentioning this book because, let's face it, it's nothing special--is that I remember buying this at a newsstand in August 1980, back when my parents and I vacationed in the Poconos. This was one of my first introductions to non-DC, Marvel, or Archie comics, and something a little more adult (indeed! Bruce Jones' story "The Green" features multiple references--both textual and visual--of group sex(!)) and for years after I would try and recall just what this magazine was. I vaguely remembered the cover but not the title, and it wasn't until TwoMorrows' excellent Warren Companion book that I could track it down and then, of course, find it on ebay.
The stories I couldn't quite follow, the art that seemed so strange to me, the mouth-watering ads for other Warren titles plus lots of toys and games--as far as I knew, the then nine-year-old me thought this might be the greatest comic book of all time!
1 comment:
Reprints or not, there is something totally unforgetable about these one off sfi-fi mags Warren did. Part of the unexplainable magic of the whole Warren line I guess.
Post a Comment