As you can see, DC put a little more effort into advertising Kirby's In the Days of the Mob than they did for Spirit World. This ad actually makes the book look exciting and action-filled, like one would expect from Jack Kirby!I had always thought that each month's books contained all the same advertising, so when I went through my 1971 Justice League of Americas (the only book I have every issue of) and I couldn't find the ad, I wondered where the heck it might've appeared.
On a whim, I looked through my issues of The Phantom Stranger from that year (I love those Wein/Aparo PS comics) and, lo and behold, here was this ad in #14, the August 1971 issue. Maybe DC assumed that The Phantom Stranger's readership was a tad older than their other superhero titles, so that would be a better spot to advertise a magazine aimed at those same people?
In any case, I'm so glad I found I this--I find that I enjoy the ads for the stuff I like (like treasury comics) just as much as the stuff itself! I don't think DC ever did another ad for this book, but if someone knows of one, please drop me a line!
2 comments:
Oh man I remember this ad well. I was in a graphics arts course around 1989 and was reading a stinky old comic instead of working, my instructer saw this page and mentioned he had it as a kid.
I've never seen the actual book before now.
Hi Rob,
The ad was the last page in Batman 233, also. I remember seeing it when I was a kid and really wanting that comic/magazine. Somewhere in the late eighties I happened upon one in a comic shop and it was everything that ad had promised. A few years later, a friend gave me a copy of the other Kirby one-shot mag, Spirit World. Very interesting stuff. Great sites, by the way.
Post a Comment