One of my favorite magazine titles, its long overdue I got to talking about an issue of Monsters Unleashed! I picked this one out of the ones I have simply because I love this Neal Adams cover so much--creepy, brilliantly composed, and just a hint of the kind of material you wouldn't be able to find in a Marvel color book (women's shirts never ripped in the regular Marvel universe).First is "Man-Thing", starring guess who, by Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, and a wonderfully moody art job by Gray Morrow. This story is the origin of Man-Thing, which as everybody knows is very reminiscient of Swamp Thing. Ted Sallis' story is a little more grim and violent, maybe owing to it appearing in a black and white mag.
Next is a reprint, "The Cyclops", which is goofy in the extreme, but it's drawn by the legendary Jack Davis so everything's okay. Then we have a text article on the movie Frankensteins by Martin Pasko, which is a fun read. I know these were done as cheap page fillers, but the enthusiasm for the subject matter shines through since the writer(s) were most often big monster fans.
Fourth is "The Death-Dealing Mannikin" by my pal Tony Isabella, Kit Pearson(?), and drawn by Win Mortimer. It's a fun (?) story about witchcraft (plus it's got Nazis!), but I have to say Win's kinda dull art sort of works against it. Someone more suited at creepy horror material might've been a better choice, or even just someone with a more exciting art style. Oh well, can't win' em all.
Next is a "Marvel Mini-Monsterpiece", a crazy two-page tale by madman (and I mean that in a good way) Tom Sutton. I wish comics had more stuff like this nowadays--fun little throwaways that add a little spice to the main story(ies) and aren't meant to be anything more than that.
"Swamp Girl" is another reprinted tale, and is not as fun as the title suggests--yeah, there's a spooky girl in a swamp, but she doesn't look like a female Swamp Thing or anything. Next is a text-and-spot-illustration "preview" of Marvel's newest sensation, Son of Satan! I still don't know how Marvel got away with that...
"The Cold of the Uncaring Moon", by another pal of mine, Steve Skeates, and the unlikely art team of George Tuska and Klaus Janson(!), is a classic werewolf tale, full of agonized, tortured souls, brutal attacks, and full moons. Tuska and Janson actually make for a pretty decent art team.
Finally is a Marvel classic, reprinted many times but worth it, is "Birthright" by Roy Thomas, Gil Kane, and the Crusty Bunkers, who look a lot like Neal Adams. A fantastic tale, full of savage adventure, sex, and giant monsters, as well as a typically-70s downbeat ending. Kane, Adams, and whoever the hell else inked this really went to town; this is one of the nicest art jobs I've ever seen in a Marvel magazine.
All told, an enormously fun issue, full of great talent and at a high level of enthusiasm. Let's unleash more monsters!
1 comment:
I think the Crusty Bunkers were an amalagm of artists that worked in Adams' Continuity Studios (meaning Adams, Giordano, and a bunch of other guys).
Post a Comment