Sunday, April 01, 2007

Mad Super Special #24 - EC

sgWhat better magazine to talk about on April Fool's Day than Mad? And not just regular Mad, but the super-cool Super Specials that featured tons of material per issue, plus a full-color reprint of one of the original comic-book-size Mads! As the Usual Gang of Idiots say--$1.00--cheap!

This special reprints Mad #6 which features the classics "Flesh Garden" by Wally Wood, "Kane Keene, Private Eye" by Jack Davis, and "Mole!" by Will Elder. Everytime I reread one of these reprints, I'm reminded all over again just how good the original Mad was--a classic, through and through.

Much like the Warren reprints, Mad really had the ability to put together an amazing array of talent in these reprint collections--we've got two TV/movie parodies by Mort Drucker ("The Poopsidedown Adventure" and "Bawde"), plus material by Don Martin, Paul Coker, Sergio Aragones (of course!), Dave Berg, Al Jaffe, Prohias' Spy vs. Spy, and of course, a Mad Fold-In.

I think over the last few years people have gotten more interested in these specials and the fountain of material they contain, because I've seen the ebay prices for them go up considerably. They are an absolute delight; for just a few bucks you can get yourself a big heaping slab of classic Mad!

1 comment:

Plaidstallions said...

Oh I want some of these again, Nostalgic mads were the best.