Friday, September 21, 2007

Doc Savage #6 - Marvel

sgA slam-bang cover by Kenn Barr, one worthy of the Man of Bronze. I'm charmed by Doc looking right into the camera, even as he plummets to Earth locked in a death-grip with some weird Bird-Man. I feel like he's going to start telling me about HDTV or something.

After an editorial by John Warner assuring us Doc Savage isn't cancelled(why do I get the feeling then EIC Archie Goodwin called Warner into his office right after this?), we have "The Sky Stealers!" by the reliable team of Doug Moench and Tony DeZuniga.

Doc and the team hear about how an entire town's population of 3,000 people just suddenly died, and they are called in to investigate.

They find some clues pointing them to the Egyptian wing of a museum, where a mummy springs(well, slowly walks) out of a sacophygus and gets the drop on Doc and Monk! The mummy takes out Monk but after a quick fight Doc gets the best of him. They discover that under the mummy's bandages is their friend Renny, who had disappeared earlier.

While this is happening, three men(?) dressed as ancient Egyptian animal gods make off with Monica, a beautiful woman who had tagged along. They plan to sacrifice her on the equinox, so of course the team follows them to the pyramids of Giza. They find a secret passageway in the King's chamber, which leads them to an underground fortress. They stumble across the ceremony, officiated by...

(pause)

You know what? These Moench plots are so intricate and involved that trying to summarize requires a better writer than I for them to make any sense. So I'll just stop here and say that it, like most of the previous issues of Doc Savage, is a lot of fun and full of the random craziness that makes reading them go by in a flash.

They obviously had a few pages to fill, so there's a brief article on Renny, featuring some spot illustrations of Doc and the team by Frank Cirocco.

2 comments:

Plaidstallions said...

I think during my teen years I read half of the Doc Savage library. With this magazine, Marvel did an amazing job of trying to bring the character to the comic medium, I've never read better. Too bad it didn't last longer...

Anonymous said...

I'd second that on the b & w's; & even add a vote for the later, in-period color's.

(I've tried to read the original pulp novels, but ... just too turgid. Gorgeous repros here:
http://www.nostalgiaventures.com/main7_sc_22_content.html)

Too, there's the short-lived NPR radio series, from about the same time. It was a mini-Doc Revival!

Great weekend,all-
-Craig W.