
I know I'm stretching the subject matter a bit with this ad, but I remember seeing these ads as a kid and drooling over these records, they looked so cool. They were created in the mid-60s but Warren was still selling them a decade and more later, which is where I saw them the first time.
Later, when I started picking up back issues of Creepy and Eerie, I went on ebay and started searching for the entire "High Camp Adventure" series of LPs. It took awhile, but I eventually found them all(The Invisible Man, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Across the World in 80 Days, The War of the Worlds, The First Man in the Moon, and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...hey, where's The Time Machine?), proving that if you wait long enough, you can eventually find anything on ebay.
The covers are by Wally Wood and Dan Adkins(mostly Adkins), and while the audio, old-time radio-ish versions of the classic stories aren't bad, they don't match the coolness and excitement of the covers.
But that's not really the point--the Captain Company ads were designed to make you get so excited over the stuff you saw for sale, and the fact it frequently didn't live up to your expectations once you got it puts in the Hall of Fame of Disapppointing Stuff Advertised in Comics, alongside Twinkies and Sea Monkeys.
3 comments:
Rob-
Ah, yes...
Hours spent mooning over the Warren ads for albums, 8mms, models, etc...
(I DID finally order the classic AN EVENING WITH BORIS KARLOFF; usual for Captain Co., it took forever, but I got it!)
The KONG is actually a pretty neat abridgement of the movie; some of these audios are out there to be found today...
Best,
-Craig W.
Hi Rob:
I'm a freelance designer working in Connecticut. I loved these records as a kid and I still own 7 of them. I've been looking for mp3 files to download but I can't find them anywhere. My records are very scratchy but still okay -- I'm listening to Journey to the Center of the Earth right now with my 9-year-old son. It's great to relive the excitement of something like this with my kids.
that's so cool, david! i havent been able to find any mp3s of them either, so i too have to listen to my scratchy records...
Post a Comment