Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Hulk! Ad - Marvel

sg
This ad ran on the inside cover of yesterday's Jaws 2 adaptation, and it uses one of my favorite iconic shots of the Hulk, ever.

I'm not sure who drew this (it looks a little John Buscema inked by Ernie Chan to me. Anyone else have a better suggestion?), but the Hulk never looked so massive to me, or more threatening, and Banner looks so passive and weak. A perfect visual representation of the inherent dynamic found in the character.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think some kudos should go to the unknown colorist as well. We take it for granted nowadays with computer enhancement, but those hand-colored treasures from back then really caught the eye. And it wasn't until the Eighties, I think, that credit was given those artists right alongside the inkers. I especially remember one issue of MARVEL SUPER-HEROES that reprinted the Hulk story from (again, I think) TALES TO ASTONISH #69, and the Jade Giant had different shades of green, making him fuller and more realistic than ever. I mistakenly thought it was the work of credited inker "Mickey Demeo" for years until I learned who did what. This ad here shows a roundness and curvature to the hero's muscles that didn't usually show up in his monthly title.

Legba said...

Definitely Ernie Chan on the inks. This was lifted from the cover of Incredible Hulk 223. He inked over Sal Buscema for several issues of the Hulk (starting around 210), and it was probably the best the series had looked since the Herb Trimpe/John Severin days.