Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dracula Lives! #12 - Marvel

sgKen Bald does the cover this time around; every time I see I think Dracula and the girl are running away from the mob; then I realize, no, she's not exactly going of her own free will.

First up is "Parchments of the Damned!" by Doug Moench and Sonny Trinidad. An unusually long tale(over thirty pages) about a guy with the cojones to actually steal Dracula's diary(he keeps a diary? How cute...). It goes on a for a while then ends with a fun twist-ending. Ridiculously enjoyable.

Moench also contributes a text piece called "Christopher Lee: Hammer's Hero of Horror", and then the last feature is "The Sins of the Fathers" by Gerry Conway and Tom Sutton.

"Sins" works as a sort of thematic companion piece, where we get to see the pre-history of Van Helsing, featuring typically spooky art by Sutton, who really should've done more of these stories, come to think about it.

A good issue, definitely an improvement over the last one--Moench apparently could write anything, in any format--short fiction, long fiction, extra-long fiction, text pieces, you name it! He was Dracula's--and Marvel's--best friend.

No comments: