I had a couple issues of these British, b/w, magazine-sized DC reprint books years ago; I had forgotten all about them until I saw them on ebay last week so I quickly snapped two of them up--the other will be here tomorrow.First off, the cover by artist Alan Craddock---way cool, and a predecessor to the look of realism Alex Ross would bring to comics. The Flash looks like a badass here--no easy feat.
Each issue features three stories from DC's archives, and this issue reprints the uber-classic "Mystery of the Human Thunderbolt"--the first appearance of The Flash from Showcase #4, by Bob Kanigher, Carmine Infantino, and Joe Kubert.
Next is "Marriage: Impossible", another chapter in the Man-Bat saga, by Frank Robbins, Neal Adams, and Dick Giordano.
Last is Superman in "The Man Who Murdered The Earth" by Len Wein, Curt Swan, and Murphy Anderson.
A really fun magazine, every bit as good as I remember it being when I had it as a young kid. The back cover features the cover painting, sans text, Gold Key-style.
1 comment:
I got several issues of this magazine through Bud Plant YEARS ago. I'm particularly fond of the Superman II issue with it's great painted cover, featuring the Phantom Zoners creating smoke everywhere with their heat vision while Superman shakes his finger at them!
Chris
Post a Comment