I love these Warren one-shots!This is from 1979, and contains articles on all kinds of sci-fi films, and it opens with a long piece on the brand-new film Alien, and then moves onto an almost scene-by-scene breakdown of Journey To Planet 7(never seen that one!).
Next is a piece on Night of the Blood Beast(memorably ribbed on Mystery Science Theatre 3000--the movie seems to feature several similar-looking men, all with the same name), and then The Green Slime.
"The Movies Look At Other Worlds and Other Aliens" takes a quick trip through some of the movies' more memorable outer space creatures, like the Metaluna Mutant(This Island Earth), the Giant Ymir(20 Million Miles to Earth), The Creeping Unknown, and The Beast With 1,000,000 Eyes(turned out to be a few less than that).
Next is a long piece on Dr.Who, featuring a still that reminds me why I never got into the show:

Last is an article on Invasion of The Saucermen, and it all wraps up with an unusually long Captain Company section. Close Encounters, Star Wars, Battelstar Galactica, Superman, Buck Rogers, Don Post masks, Warren back issues, and more!
Another fun Warren one-shot, though it was a bit of a cheat to put Darth Vader on your cover and not have anything on Star Wars.
I'm just saying.
5 comments:
60's Doctor Who cheapness shouldn't detract from it's later greatness.
As for this magazine, looks mostly derived from FM content.
Rob-
Ah, yes - ripe Warrencheese!
WHO eludes me too; a lot of early-based Brit Fantasy has a weird, winking "we all know this is juvenile, yes?" quality.
I'm New World enough to like my genre shows to totally play straight - even when Kirk walks by a apraypainted rock, & Superman jumps off a ladder!
>The Beast With 1,000,000 Miles<
(aka "The Fearsome Frequent Flyer")
Happy Halloween,
-Craig W.
>>60's Doctor Who cheapness shouldn't detract from it's later greatness.<<
Dr Who has been so popular for so long that ive concluded I JUST DONT GET IT, and that has more to do with me than the show itself.
its like Pink Floyd to me--i dont get "it", but its been popular for so long theres obviously something there, so live and let live.
but it was pics like that that i saw as a kid that made me go "wtf?"
>>The Beast With 1,000,000 Miles<<
uh, oops! gotta stop proofreading at midnight...
Having fond memories of this one-shot from when I was six years old, and then having re-acquired it last year, I can say than both then and now, my favorite part of the magazine is the ads :)
Post a Comment