Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Superheroes Monthly Vol.2 #3 - DC/Egmont

sgThis issue's cover is by Bryan Talbot--I know what they were going for, but I can't help but think this looks like Batman has knocked out Santa Claus and the cops have the drop on him. Holy Elseworlds!
More classic reprints, all Christmas-themed stories, starting off with "Wanted: Santa Claus--Dead or Alive!" by Denny O'Neil, inker Steve Mitchell, and pencils by some new kid named Frank Miller.

Next is "Star Light, Star Bright...Farthest Star I See Tonight!" starring the Legion of Super-Heroes by Paul Levitz, Jose Luis Garica Lopez, and Dick Giordano.

A cool bonus feature is a text article called "A Date With DC" where over three pages we're given a series of important dates in DC's history from 1961-1981(previous issues handled earlier years). It starts off with "Feb.1961--After many years as a back-up feature, Aquaman starts a series of try-outs starting with Showcase No.30." Amen!

The last story is the bona-fide classic "The Man Who Murdered Santa Claus!" from Justice League of America #110, by Len Wein, Dick Dillin, and Giordano. The Key suckers the JLA into a series of death-traps in an extraordinairily fun adventure--one of my all-time favorite JLA stories.

Another nice feature in this issue is "Ask The AnswerMan", an all-new version of the Bob Rozakis column this time answering British comics fan's questions! Consdering how friggin' convoluted the DCU is nowadays, I'd say we need the AnswerMan more than ever!

These are great magazines filled with fun, timeless material--I definitely plan to get more of 'em as the blog goes on...

No comments: