A nice mix of a classic movie still with a new painting, by Sanjulian, graces the cover of this issue of Eerie.The first feature is just two pages, and it runs on the inside covers. By Doug Moench, Rich Buckler, and Bill DuBay, "The Wart Monster of Tennessee" is one of Warren's goofiest stories. Moench's tongue is planted--stapled, even--firmly in cheek.
The opening story is "And the Mummy Walks!" by Steve Skeates and Jamie Brocals. A mummy stalks the city streets! Gothic horror with a nice art job by Brocal.
Second is "Curse of the Werewolf!" by Martin Salvador and Al Milgrom, a name I didn't think I'd ever come across in a Warren mag. The twist ending reminds me of those early Goodwin stories. Milgrom does a nice job with the art.
Third is "Hunter", by Rich Margopoulos and Paul Neary, a John Carter, Warlord of Mars-esque story, about a demon hunter. Another nice art job.
Next is "Schreck: First Night of Terror" by Moench, Vincente Alcazar, and Neal Adams doing a rare inking-only job. Reminscient of I Am Legend, it's a grim, brutal tale; we get a scene of a naked woman hacking off our hero's...hand. Bloody and exciting.
Fifth is "Spawn of the Dead Thing" by Tom Sutton. A really grotesque tale centered around the birth of three hideous demon babies. Ick!
One last feature is a one-page report on the 1973 NYC Comic Art Con, featuring two pictures, one of Miss Angelique Trouvere dressed as Vampirella, and one of the infamous Heidi Saha. As we talked about last week, it's really inappropriate to see a kid dressed like this. The whole wrongness of it is driven home when you have Heidi next to Angelique, who looks like a real, adult woman, and unbelievably and improbably manages to keep the Vampi costume filled in all the right places.
4 comments:
This is one of my favorite Sanjulian covers.
I never heard of the Heidi Saha controversy until last week, so I was wondering if the adult Miss Trouvere also had posters and magazines devoted to her? And if so, why not? Esp. since they would makes such things centered around a skimpily costumed 14-year oid?
Chris
I got this at the stands and all that stands out for me was Neal Adams inking that one story. I also remember the photos of the two Vampirellas. I didn't think the Heidi Saha one was outrageous or anything at the time. Of course I was 15 or so myself, and I do remember liking the other Vampirella much better.
wow! what a great surprise to read such lovely compliments! Thanks :)
It's so nice to be so well thought of for my portrayal of Vampirella so long ago. u guys rock!
I just completed an online interview about my early comic book costumes (and some others) and interesting people that I met at cons like Heidi, Forry, Neal Adams, etc.
If you'd like to read it, it's at:
www.enjolrasworld.com
just scroll until you see "new interview: "angelique:..."
and thanks again :)
angelique trouvere
Post a Comment