I feel about the Rook the way I did/do about the Legion of Super-Heroes...I just don't get it. Obviously, it was a very popular feature(the Rool even got his own magazine, albeit briefly), but it pretty much always left me cold.And don't even get me started again on the idea of a futuristic, time-traveling cowboy strip in a magazine called Eerie. Though the cover by Luis Bermejo is very nice!
The Rook stars in "The Man Whom Time Forgot" by Bill DuBay and Bermejo, in a tale where he goes back in time, right smack in the middle of the battle for the Alamo!
Don't get me wrong--I think the strip is just fine, well-drawn and moves at a quick pace. But I personally just found it a bit repetitive and it seemed like to me the Rook was Eerie's main star, like, forever. Appopriate for a time-traveling character, I guess.
Next is "The Game is Afoot" by Gerry Boudreau, Carmine Infantino, and Gonzalo Mayo, a fantasy tale of vampires fighting to take over the Earth!
Third is "Castle of the Assassin" by Budd Lewis and Jose Ortiz, about an old scrapper named Sully who goes after revenge against Ninja, who had stolen a priceless statue from Scully and murdered his daughters! The Ninja is a tough fighter, but Sully has the Luck O' The Irish.
Last is "In A Deep Sea Tomb" by Lewis and Leopold Sanchez, a really fun tale of murder and treachery at the bottom of the ocean. My favorite tale of the issue, and nicely drawn by Sanchez.
Not one of my favorite issues, the only story I really dug was the last. It's just my personal tastes, but the whole fantasy/sci-fi stuff in Eerie just turned me off, and there's a lot of that here. Oh well, there's always the next issue!
1 comment:
Wow, somebody ar Warren saw Billy Jack and the Time Machine at a double feature somewhere.
Post a Comment