Pow! is one of most famous of the "lost" Warren projects that, for one reason or another, never saw the light of day. In this case, Pow! got a little closer than some others, in that a cover was commissioned, one story completed, and the others sent out to the artists. It was to be the brainchild of Wally Wood and Nick Cuti, so let's first hear from Nick about it when he was interviewed for TwoMorrows' The Warren Companion:

Frank Frazetta created a painting for the first issue, a mix of the adventure, humor, quasi-horror, and sex-themed kind of material that Pow! would run. When Pow! collapsed, it was repurposed for Eerie #81:

Maybe this is what Pow! #1 mighta looked like:

Anyway, Nick talked a little more with TwoMorrows about the magazine, about what they were going for:








It's a real shame this book never quite made it, I think a magazine spearheaded by Wally Wood and Nick would've been a blast, not being limited to a specific genre.
Of course, Pow! could've been a short-lived effort, and it may seem more amazing by the fact that we never got to see it. But going by the talent behind the book, and from the cover and one story meant for it, I think Pow! would've been a fine addition to the Warren stable.
3 comments:
Bill Daly looks suspiciously like former Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau.
I read "I Wonder Who's Squeezing Her Now" in Murder, published by Renegade in the 80s:
http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=41963#7
Leads to the question of who owned the rights (or art) to it.
The POW! cover is one of my favorite Frazettas, but like most stuff by him that I like, pretty atypical of his usual work. Wish he'd given the character a little personality, though.
Another great entry. Thanks!
Post a Comment