DC Week, Part 2Another issue of The Super Heroes Monthly, with a nifty painted cover by Bob Wakelin, featuring a hesitant Superman, a super-angry Batman, and a sort of odd-looking Wonder Woman.
First up is "Battle of the Thinking Machines!" by Bob Rozakis and the mighty team of Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin, from Detective Comics #468.
This is the story featuring Batman and guest-stars Elongated Man, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Atom fighting, improbably, the Calculator, a villain not exactly known to strike fear in the hearts of superheroes everywhere, yet Rozakis managed to write him as formidable.
It features a funny ending, where Morgan Edge wonders if he could get Batman to write an auto-biography. That sends Batman into a fit of laughter:
...I love the JLAers looking bewildered at hearing the Dark Knight Detective chuckle.
Next is "The Baby Who Walked Through Walls" by Len Wein and Neal Adams, from the "Private Life of Clark Kent" back-up in Superman #254. Adams was of course a perfect choice to illustrate a tale that features just Clark Kent, no Superman, and still makes it visually compelling.
Last is "The Planetary Conqueror!" starring Wonder Woman and Supergirl, by Bill Finger, Win Mortimer, and Jack Abel, from Wonder Woman #177.
There's also two brief text features about Supergirl and Wonder Woman's superhero gear--I always love seeing what modern editors use to fill those empty half-pages they get stuck with when reprinting stories from the 50s and 60s.
I just noticed, the edtior of SHM is named Vanessa Morgan--a female comic book editor? Pretty unusual for the time!
Next is "The Baby Who Walked Through Walls" by Len Wein and Neal Adams, from the "Private Life of Clark Kent" back-up in Superman #254. Adams was of course a perfect choice to illustrate a tale that features just Clark Kent, no Superman, and still makes it visually compelling.
Last is "The Planetary Conqueror!" starring Wonder Woman and Supergirl, by Bill Finger, Win Mortimer, and Jack Abel, from Wonder Woman #177.
There's also two brief text features about Supergirl and Wonder Woman's superhero gear--I always love seeing what modern editors use to fill those empty half-pages they get stuck with when reprinting stories from the 50s and 60s.
I just noticed, the edtior of SHM is named Vanessa Morgan--a female comic book editor? Pretty unusual for the time!
1 comment:
I need to get this. I've never actually held it in my hand, only heard tell of it around the campfire...
Thanks for making our lives better, Rob!
Post a Comment