Monday, January 07, 2008

The Superheroes Monthly Vol.1 #7 - DC/Egmont

sgDC Week, Part 1

Welcome to our first official Theme Week! All this week we'll be talking about DC-related comics in the magazine format.

Of course, DC didn't do much--none, really--in the format directly, so we don't have much to draw on, but we'll do what we can!

This is The Super Heroes Monthly, a British DC reprint magazine that ran in the early 80s. We've talked about this magazine before, and even though its all reprints, between the original painted covers and the high quality of the tales chosen, SHM was an attractive package.

As the cover says, this is a special Superman II Movie Issue, featuring all-Superman content as well as an article on the film. I like how Superman looks just mildly annoyed at Zod, Non, and Ursa as they are what looks like microwaving some earthlings.

First up is an untitled Superman story from 1942 by Siegel and Shuster, featuring Superman taking on some Axis saboteurs!

Next is "The Mightiest Team in the World" by Edmond Hamilton, Curt Swan, and Stan Kaye, from Superman #76, the first Superman-Batman team-up!

Then comes a review and article on Superman II, and then finally we have "Clark Kent, Hero...Superman, Public Enemy!" by Cary Bates, Swan, and Jack Abel, from Superman #219.

On the inside back cover is a little Captain Company-like action, featuring this ad for Superman II t-shirts for sale:
sg
...I like that "Arch Villains" one. It takes a bold kid to not wear a Superman shirt and instead go for the three murderous supervillains. Although that old school, more rounded "S" shield is pretty nifty, too...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got several issues of this mag from Bud Plant years ago. Including this one! I like how Ursa takes time to do a cheesecake pose while she roasts humans.

I think I had a Superman shirt like the one where he's running. Good times.

I can't believe you resisted the urge to put "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!" in this entry Rob.

Chris