
So while buying stuff on eBay, I saw someone selling this 100th issue of Eerie, which I had never read, so I snapped it up.
Unfortunately, Eerie's 100th issue happened right smack in the middle of the sci-fi craze that swept the Warren mags, in the wake of the massive success of Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
And since my...apathy for this material has been stated here many times, I don't see the need to belabor the point. Not that there's anything wrong with this stuff, its just that I could never really get over the idea of this kind of material being in a magazine named Eerie.
Again, since Warren kept doing this stuff, obviously it was fairly popular; its just that it never grabbed me as a kid, and it still doesn't, all these years later.
So I'm going to present without comment some of the material in this issue, featuring superb art jobs by Alfred Alcala, Leo Durnona, Jim Janes, Isidro Mones, and Jim Starlin:







...of course, like all Warrens, this issue ends with pages and pages of fun Captain Company material. By this point, most of it was also sci-fi related, except for the back issues you could buy, reminding one of the genuinely, well, eerie material that this mag used to run:

3 comments:
I agree with you about Eerie not being the place for science fiction tales. That kind of stuff should have gone into 1984/1994 magazine. Having said that I do think that cover is very nice.
Just wonderful art!
couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately Eerie sunk much, much more than this. Their 1981 - 1983 stuff was probably the worst material Warren ever published. :(
-Quiddity99
Post a Comment