
This issue is entirely filled with Gil Kane's original graphic novel--sixty pages written, penciled, and inked by the legendary Mr. Kane. Why the cover is by Romas, not Kane, is a bit of a mystery. After all, it's not like Gil Kane couldn't pull off superb covers...
Anyway, since the story is so involved, featuring lots of twists and turns and fantastical concepts and lots of characters, I've decided not to do a plot synopsis, instead highlighting some of the more memorable moments from the book.
After a nice two-page spread, the story itself starts, and Blackmark is unusual since its a combo of art and text. Blackmark is introduced in the classic heroic manner:



The story is broken up into chapters, featuring nice single illustrations summarizing what we're about to see. In Chapter Two, some of the poor denizens of this world as they are attacked by a creature known as the Psi-Keep.
The attacks are so brutal, some of the survivors are driven to the brink of madness:
Later, Blackmark arrives at Castle Shannux, where he meets the beautiful Shandra. She's first introduced in this fantastic shot:
...I love Kane's use of zip-a-tone here, and the staging is brilliant.
Eventually Blackmark and some of his men hit the high seas, where they encounter a massive, water-churning storm, courtesy of the Psi-Keep:
Eventually they make their way to the island stronghold of the villainous Reynard, who slaughtered Blackmark's parents many years ago. (You know, considering how many superheroes get created by this event, bad guys would stop leaving orphans around after their killing sprees)
Blackmark and Reynard have a knock-down, dragged-out battle, which ends with one of them getting a sword in the eye and thrown off the top of the castle.
But even in victory there is sadness, since Shandra has been wounded, and by the time Blackmark makes it back to her, she is gone, ending the story in a very moody fashion:
All in all, Blackmark is a lot of fun, well told and fast-paced, and of course Gil Kane was a perfect artist to tell a story featuring armadas of warriors attacking one another.
Like I said above, sometimes the text is unnecessary, but overall it works, and the passion Kane felt for this story shows through on every page.
The attacks are so brutal, some of the survivors are driven to the brink of madness:


Eventually Blackmark and some of his men hit the high seas, where they encounter a massive, water-churning storm, courtesy of the Psi-Keep:

Blackmark and Reynard have a knock-down, dragged-out battle, which ends with one of them getting a sword in the eye and thrown off the top of the castle.
But even in victory there is sadness, since Shandra has been wounded, and by the time Blackmark makes it back to her, she is gone, ending the story in a very moody fashion:

Like I said above, sometimes the text is unnecessary, but overall it works, and the passion Kane felt for this story shows through on every page.
5 comments:
I was always curious about 'Blackmark' -- who published it, and why could I never find it?
Back in the 80's, there was two comic book art instruction books available at mall bookstores: the Lee/Buscema 'Marvel Way,' and one from the 70's that kept getting reissued, 'The Art of Cartooning' (I think) by John Richardson (maybe). There were tons of roughs and finished art from 'Blackmark' used as examples in that book.
The latter book also had a comparison of Gene Colan's pencil art to his finished art with a panel of the Sub-Mariner socking Capt. Mar-Vell; wow, what that guy could do.
I've seen a 'Blackmark' TPB, but it's pretty small, and that text makes it look like a pretty nerdy read. I'll keep my eyes out for the original, though.
The original was a standard, pocket-sized paperback. (Two volumes, I believe?) Then there was this Marvel magazine edition, and then the Fantagraphics TPB (a bit larger than manga-sized).
I have the magazine version and the trade, and tho I love the genre, I've never quite managed to slog through all the text.
I've spent hours looking at the art, though!
You can always tell when an artist "feels" the work, and Gil poured his heart into this! The writing IS a chore to read, however. I never made it through, Either! LOL
I think with some early graphoc novels like this and Steranko's Chandler, there was a feeling that there had to be a "real writing" to separate the work from "comics"--they have more an "illustrated story" feel than, say, Eisner's early graphic novels, where he let the pictures be more evocative (cartoony) and carry more of the narrative flow.
Hard to beleive these days that a magazine like this could appear without the creator's name appearing on the cover.
I read the new publication of Black Mark published by Bantam a few year ago. I loved the art but the over exposition I found annoying. I sold it.
Gil really needed a writer to help him out.
Post a Comment