
I said that had never occurred to me, but it sounded cool, so when I saw this on eBay for around $1.00 I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
I don't have much familiarity with these magazines, and perusing this issue was an eye-opening experience. I think you can see what audience they were aiming at with this ad, right on page six:

Anyway, the first article is a piece called "Jump For Me--After I Kill!", about some tough-guy hunting down "Reds."
Next is this article, which seems like more like an unpublished piece from Weird Tales:

Next is another war-related piece, "Fury at 40 Knots", and then we get to what I think was the mag's bread and butter--strippers!:

...I particularly love this caption on the bottom right:
Aw, "the boss" is just so sweet. I heard Jack Ruby was the same way.
There are some more articles about various subjects, like death-defying survival ("I Follow Six Hounds to Hell"), a tragic fire at a dance club ("Slaughter in Paradise"), marriage advice ("Will 'Time-Table Sex' Doom Your Marriage?"), even extreme fighting ("Bad Brawl in Bangkok").
But the stuff here that interested me more were the voluminous amount of weird ads throughout the issue:
This one also caught my eye:

There are some more articles about various subjects, like death-defying survival ("I Follow Six Hounds to Hell"), a tragic fire at a dance club ("Slaughter in Paradise"), marriage advice ("Will 'Time-Table Sex' Doom Your Marriage?"), even extreme fighting ("Bad Brawl in Bangkok").
But the stuff here that interested me more were the voluminous amount of weird ads throughout the issue:


First of all, I assume that piece of stock art is labeled "Perv, Profile Right."
Second, I like how they cover their bases on the order form, having you request "Adult", "Family", or "Children's" films. Why do I think they sold a lot of the first, and none of the last two?
Two final notes before we go: the nifty cover painting is uncredited, so we can't give credit where it's due (it did its job, making this magazine look like a Respectable Publication, after all). Also, on the letter page, not a single letter writer gives anything more than their initials. Read into that what you will.
Would like to see more of these "men's magazines" here on All in Black & White? Let me know!
Second, I like how they cover their bases on the order form, having you request "Adult", "Family", or "Children's" films. Why do I think they sold a lot of the first, and none of the last two?
Two final notes before we go: the nifty cover painting is uncredited, so we can't give credit where it's due (it did its job, making this magazine look like a Respectable Publication, after all). Also, on the letter page, not a single letter writer gives anything more than their initials. Read into that what you will.
Would like to see more of these "men's magazines" here on All in Black & White? Let me know!
10 comments:
The second I saw that shot of the "boss," my first thought was, "Yeah, I bet Jack Ruby was sweet too."
Oy.
I personally love these sorts of mags, so if you post more, I'd dig it.
I forgot the ads are the most brilliant part of these mags. well, that and the he-man type "I killed all the reds" stories.
this one was from pretty early before the covers got racier in the late 50s and 60s.
and I think I might have been the one to suggest these "sweat" mags. hope you liked it, or at least didnt mind it:-)
Keny from Prague
Would I like to see more of these "men's magazines" here on All in Black & White? Yes, I would. Lest we forget that many an artist got their start on these type of publications. The one that comes immediatly to mind is James Bama who is famous for the paperback Doc Savage covers. Of course, the main theme of the site should continue to be the black and white comic magazines like Creepy, Eerie, etc.
I vote for men's mags too! More, please!
keny-
yeah, i believe it was you who suggested them in the first place. thanks!
i think i will do more of these, if i can get my hands on some super-cheap ones; they're odd and goofy and they make a nice change of pace here on the blog!
Back in my Midwestern youth, I actually recall knowing men who read these mags. I think they really sprouted up to cater to the WWII vets.
As one of them, Johnny Carson, might've said - "That's wild stuff!" Like things like WEEKLY WORLD NEWS today, self-parody.
Best,
-Craig W.
if anybody is interested, a few years ago i bought this great coffee table book called mens adventure magazines. its mostly a cover gallery with some great ones by james bama, norman saunders, etc. also some essays on the genre and a bit of interior art. its a bit skimpy on the stories contained in the mags, but from the ones ive read i understand why.
http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/new/03815/facts.mens_adventure_magazines_in_postwar_america.htm
anyway, its a good book to thumb through. i got mine here in prague in english, french and german. but the wife doesnt think its a good one to keep in plain sight:-)
keny from prague
Yeah, there are two thick books out of mainly cover repros--my knowledge of them is spotty, but I think it's a genre where the quality of the artwork is well above the writing. Here are some great examples from Norm Saunders:
http://www.normansaunders.com/MnsAdv1.html
Absolutely more! I love these things, as well as the men's action paperback novels of the '70s like the Executioner, the Penetrator, the Butcher, the Death Merchant, etc.
I always wondered what was in these mags..
Post a Comment