Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Marvel Super Special #21: Conan The Barbarian

sg
Summer 1982 - "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women!"

Marvel couldn't have asked for a more ready-made movie adaptation than this, their comic book version of the Dino De Laurentiis blockbuster Conan The Barbarian!

Of course, who to draw the book was a no-brainer--who could do it better than "Big" John Buscema?
:
sg
The script is by Michael Fleisher, with coloring by "D.Pedler" (I don't know that name) and "L.Varley" (I know that one!).

The story follows the movie pretty closely, even the most adult parts of the script:

sg
...this leads to that sequence that freaked me out when I saw it in the movie, when I was just a wee lad:
sg
Conan meets up with the thief Subitai, and then the beautiful Valeria, one of the few women that can meet Conan on his own terms.

Conan and his fellow travelers then run afoul of the villainous Thulsa Doom, Valeria is killed, and saves the life of a princess.

It's revealed that Thulsa was behind the killing of Conan's parents, and he tries to take credit for making the Conan the man he is today. Conan is less than impressed with this line of reasoning:
sg
...I love Conan's "what the hell" posture. This isn't even that big of a deal.

There's also a movie text feature, "From Hyboria to Hollywood" by David Anthony Kraft, and features profiles and interviews with Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Earl Jones, director John Milius, and Set Designer Ron Cobb:
sg
...someone at Marvel had fun going over movie stills, that's for sure.

I haven't seen Conan the Barbarian in a long while, but this makes me want to see it all over again.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, I HATED this movie! It was all downhill for me after Conan rolled around the floor crying "You killed my mudda! You killed my fadda! My PEAPOOLE!" Oy.

Anonymous said...

Holy smoke! I actually OWN this magazine. Conan was one of the first "adult" films I ever saw, I went with my dad because as I recall it was rated "R". I remember being slightly shocked (in a good way) at the brief bits of nudity in the film. I bought the mag soon after because I had loved the film so much and it remains one of my prized possessions. I also owned a T-shirt with the cover painting.

Swinebread said...

John Buscema can do no wrong

Anonymous said...

While Big J.B. was the best figure artist in the biz and this adaptation was real good. I agree with the great Joe Jusko.
The movie was a bit weak as far as the Conan mythos goes.
He would never whine like that.
The tree of woe scene could have been way better. They should have lifted the entire sequence from " A witch shall be born " he pulls the iron nails out himself ! Now that is CONAN ----Mikey D.