April 1979 - I know I'm really stretching the boundaries of this blog today, but what the heck--I don't know anyone who grew up in the 70s who didn't have at least one or two copies of Dynamite.And when I saw this issue's cover, featuring none other than Christopher Reeve as the Man of Steel, how could I say no?
The magazine opens with the cover feature, giving brief rundowns of how Christopher Reeve landed the part that would, eventually, make him the Superman for an entire generation. Its followed by the profile on Ice Castles' star Lynn Holly Johnson(who would later have a small but saucy role in For Your Eyes Only).
There's an article on San Francisco's Exploratorium, and then a three-page comic book sequence featuring a Wonder Twins-esque pair called...The Dynamite Duo!:

Next up are some fun experiments with eggs, "Dynamite's Talking Pictures", a two-page Christopher Reeve as Superman pin-up(awesome), and then "W.C. Fields Versus Charlie McCarthy, wonderfully drawn by frequent Mad artist Sam Viviano:

...I particularly love that caricature of W.C. Fields in the middle panel.
There's an advice coumn from Paulina Kernberg, M.D., "Count Morbida's Monthly Puzzle Pages"(drawn by Arthur Friedman, featuring Dracula, the Mummy, and King Kong), a column by "Magic Wanda", and then another poster, this time of Lynn Holly Johnson.
Dynamite was a frequent co-conspirator in getting young kids to read--and they frequently offered enough comic book-related content that parents probably didn't think twice about getting it for their kids.
Just a warning: I'm in a weird mood, so we might be talking about some really odd magazines all this week!
There's an advice coumn from Paulina Kernberg, M.D., "Count Morbida's Monthly Puzzle Pages"(drawn by Arthur Friedman, featuring Dracula, the Mummy, and King Kong), a column by "Magic Wanda", and then another poster, this time of Lynn Holly Johnson.
Dynamite was a frequent co-conspirator in getting young kids to read--and they frequently offered enough comic book-related content that parents probably didn't think twice about getting it for their kids.
Just a warning: I'm in a weird mood, so we might be talking about some really odd magazines all this week!
2 comments:
Man, I'm old. I used to get this every month when I was a kid....
Wow, not only do I remember this issue, those two features you showed are burned into my brain from a thousand re-reads! Talk about a trip down memory lane!
MORE PLEASE!
Post a Comment