Nov. 1977 - As I've mentioned before when profiling Warren's sports-themed issues, I open the magazine with a healthy dose of apathy. I don't care about sports, I generally don't like sci-fi in my Eeries, so sci-fi + sports in Eerie? Oh boy...The cover is by Don Maitz--isn't bad, a little dull in terms of the design. I do like the alien's custom-made athletic socks.
First up is The Rook in "Future Shock", by Bill DuBay and Luis Bermejo, featuring a payoff to all the time hopping, wherein the Rook gets the chance to start a new world.
Next is "The Key", by Budd Lewis and Jose Ortiz, starring the recurring character Scallywag. There's naked chicks, ninja, dragons, magic swords...I had trouble figuring what the hell was going on here, but it sure was pretty too look at.
Next is "Deathball 2100 A.D." by Bill Mohalley, our pal Nick Cuti, with art by Dick Giordano:

Next is "Boiling Point", the first chapter of a cool murder mystery story by Bruce Jones and Leopold Sanchez--a brutal killer haunts the subways! Creepy and effective.
Last is "Junkyard Battles or: Never Trust An Electric Shaver", by Cuti and Auraleon, a darkly funny story of a brutal future where machines of all kinds have taken over.
All in all, not too bad an issue--sports is just the subject of that one story, and that one was probably my favorite of the bunch!
2 comments:
Hey great Blog.
Very interesting.
Cheers from Barcelona
EERIE was definitely on the downhill slide by this issue. I kept buying them, sure, but more for collection completion's sake than anything else. The heyday of the horror series had passed, and I admit I spent more time rereading my back issues than I did perusing the latest one I'd shelled out for.
Post a Comment