August 1973 - Another fine cover by Frank Frazetta, as different from yesterday's as possible. Whereas the previous painting was dark and loose, this one is light, goofy, and sharp.In addition to Vaughan Bode's "Cheech Wizard", Gahan Wilson's "Strange Beliefs of Children", Ed Subitzsky's "The Beginning of Life" and "Worlds in Collusion", Shary Flenniken's "Trots and Bonnie", it's the one and only Neal Adams who does the art for the comic book color feature, "Son-O-God Comics", written by Sean Kelly and Michael Choquette.
I admit--I really have no idea what's going on in this story, outside of its superhero comic parody elements, and the overall effort to be as offensive as possible, I guess. In any case, when you hired Neal Adams, he always brought his "A" game:


Nice stuff, eh?
1 comment:
Y'see, my mom was pretty cool.
She bought me this one off the stands at 7-11 when it came out and I was 13. I was in full Frazetta freak mode at the time. And I hadn't gotten religion at the time, so my hormones were free to rage at the content...
Later on I found the one from 1971 with the comic story "Dragula": art by Neal Adams preceded by a faux comic book cover by Frazetta done in pen and ink.
Post a Comment