Another early Creepy and another classic cover by Frank Frazetta.After the inside cover "Creepy's Loathsome Lore" by Roy Krenkel, we open with "The Thing In The Pt!" by Larry Ivie and Gray Morrow, a classic guy's-car-breaks-down story, where of course the only shelter is a creepy house populated by some horrific residents. Nice, nice art job by Morrow, of course.
Next is "Thumbs Down!" by Anne T. Murphy and Al Williamson, an EC-esque revenge tale set in Ancient Rome.
Adam Link is back in "Adam Link in Business" by Otto Binder and Joe Orlando. Link continues his struggle to fit in with society, with the added complication of him being an unwitting part of a love triangle!
Next is Poe's "Cask of the Amontillado" by Archie Goodwin and Reed Crandall, featuring some amazing line-work by Crandall. Following that is the classic "The Stalkers" by Goodwin and The Man, Alex Toth. Alien visitors have a surprise in store for earthling Alex Colby. As with any tale Toth drew for Warren, it's superb.
Bill Pearson and John Severin contribute "Abominable Snowman!", a tale of murderous greed in the Himalayas. Severin, like Toth, always kicks ass(sequentially, I mean).
Last is "Gargoyle", by Goodwin, Krenkel, and Angelo Torres. Boy, those gargoyles made by the local sculptor sure are real looking...
As you'd expect from any book featuring Roy Krenkel, Al Williamson, Joe Orlando, Alex Toth, John Severin, and Frank Frazetta, a solid issue. Warren was still in its early stages, aping the EC Comics style much more directly; but it remains that these early issues were classics.
3 comments:
I'm really enjoying your blog. (just wanted to say that 'cause you don't get a lot of comments, but people are reading it)
The Goodwin-era Warrens are some of my favorite comics ever and when I read something like this, I start getting the urge to pick them up again.
I just wish the consistency lasted. Doesn't seem too long before both Creepy and Eerie had both great stuff and dreck in the same issues. And reprints--lots of reprints.
MDG-
thanks for reading and for commenting! youre right; for some reason the blog doesnt get many comments, at least in proportion to how many people are reading it! oh well.
yeah, Creepy and Eerie got pretty bad pretty fast, and then of course came back strong, and then sorta went out with a whimper. all part of the drama of Warren.
The first time I realized how complex and illustrative comic art could be was when I discovered the Warren mags. They are still among the most revered books in my collection, especially the first 20 or so issues of each.
Post a Comment