O frabjous day!When I unexpectedly came across Spider-Man Magazine #1 in my local 7-11, back in May, I said "I plan to buy multiple copies of this and give them out to every little comics fan I know. Maybe I can single-handedly help Marvel realize they've got a winner on their hands..." Well, obviously I was successful, since here's a second issue!
As you can see, Marvel decided to tie their two summer movie franchises together with this (unofficial)second issue, since this book contains both Spider-Man and Fantastic Four stories, as well as The Silver Surfer. I guess they figured the FF wouldn't be able to carry their own magazine, even though they're movie stars, too?(I guess Man-Thing Magazine was out of the question)
In any case, I'm so glad they put out a second issue, since like the first its a fun assemblage of material, old and new, for little kids as well as slightly older readers. The price point of $6.99 is a little high, but what the hey...
Stories include Spider-Man in "Dust-Up in Aisle Seven!" by Fred Van Lente and Cory Hamscher, the FF in "Countdown to Oblivion" by Lente and Hamscher, an all-new Silver Surfer text story with spot illustrations by Karl Kesel, plus the classic "The Surfer and the Spider!" by Stan Lee and John Buscema, from The Silver Surfer #14. There's also a cool Spidey vs. Sandman pin-up by...Mike Wieringo.
Other features include connect-the-dots, finish the drawing, maze, coloring, and other game pages, Marvel Universe bio pages of the FF and Surfer, classic FF covers, and a FF pin-up by George Perez!
Actually, when I think about it, this book is actually mostly FF material, with Spidey bookending it. Like I said, I guess they figured they needed their biggest star to sell a new-format publication like this, but its still sort of a bait-and-switch. Not as bad as, say, Superman Salutes the Bicentennial, but still.
Even if Marvel does the feel the need to feature Spider-Man in every one of these, I really hope they do Spider-Man/IronMan Magazine and Spider-Man/Hulk Magazine next summer. Its not like they don't have the material...
1 comment:
Obviously I need to get out more because I didn't even know there was an issue 1! That mag looks cool, reminds me of the one they tried to start up back when the Spider-Man Animated Series was on T.V.!
Post a Comment