Thursday, August 09, 2007

Iron Fist Ad - Marvel

sgAs any regular reader of Treasury Comics.com or Digest Comics knows, I love talking about the ads for various comics almost as much as the comics themselves(Indeed, while I love doing the type of portrait illustration I do, it's when I get to combine illustration with typography that I really get excited; sadly it's something I don't get to do that much).

Anyway, I thought I'd start putting up some magazine ads here, since I remember seeing them and getting saying to myself "I gotta buy that!"

This is an ad that ran in Marvel's Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu #4, pushing a book that would never see the light of day--a solo Iron Fist b/w magazine!

As you can see from this ad(surely drawn by Gil Kane, inked by...?), Marvel had the whole package ready; even an on-sale date! I need to go back and re-read some of my Marvel mags and see if anyone mentions why Iron Fist got cancelled before it ever started. A glut in the martial arts comics field? Rising paper costs? The dreaded deadline doom?!?

No comments: