Feb. 1980 - This cover doesn't bode well for this issue of Eerie.It looks like your typical cheesy sci-fi paperback cover--I mean, come on! This is Eerie, one of the pillars of the legendary Warren Publishing empire! Home to some of the finest artists to ever work in the medium of comics! I want demons, monsters, and/or some scantily-clad Frazetta babes!
(Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh--I have more of a problem with the style and it being an Eerie cover at all rather than the painting itself, which is by Kirk Reinert)
First up is "Blood on Black Satin" by the great team of Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy, about a guy driving on the proverbial dark and stormy night having been invited to the All Hallows Eve Festival. But when he arrives at his destination, things are a little different than what he imagined.
He ends up being taken to a party, and Gulacy lets it rip:

He ends up getting involved in a plot concerning a mysterious old man who lives in a giant creepy mansion, devil worship, and the usual shenanigans. A lot of fun, even if the story ends mid-way to be continued in the next issue. Gulacy's art is top-notch.
Next up is "Beastworld" by Bruce Jones and Pablo Marcos, which features the giant man-eating insect from the cover. Third is "Race of the Damned" by Norman Mundy, Cary Bates, and Buz Vaultz(?), about two alien races fighting for supremacy where winning is the only concern.
Next is "Fugue State" by Larry Hama and Val Mayerik, a gory samurai tale featuring nifty art by Mayerik:

"Mactavish: End of the Steel Gang" by Alabaster Redzone, Alex Southern, and Moreno Casares is last. Another continued character, Mactavish is a space-going guy caught in the middle of a fight for power between his friend Spider Andromeda and the newly-elected government. Coming in in the middle made it tough for me to understand what was going on, but Casares' art is quite nice!
Contains twenty-four pages of Captain Company ads, maybe a record?
Contains twenty-four pages of Captain Company ads, maybe a record?
2 comments:
I remember loving the Moench and Gulacy story -- and diggin' the Mayerick one as well!
Thanks for the memories!
Wow. I don't remember this issue at all. I had pretty much stopped buying them at this point. I may need to pick up some of the later issues to see what I may have missed.
Post a Comment